What is Pollen?
Pollensare microscopic grains, released by flowering plants, that will enable them to reproduce. The variety of pollensis an index of biodiversity.
When spring comes, pollen is often the cause of allergies. Pollens and pollination periods vary in different regions.
Some examples of common symptoms are1
- Nasal discharge
- Nasal congestion
- Watery eyes
- Reddish eyes
- Itching in the nose, throat, palate, skin
- Sore throat
- Sleep disorder
- Skin and eye irritation
- Asthma attacks
When do pollen allergies occur?
Pollens are emitted by plants (trees, shrubs, grasses)2when they reproduce. Depending on the plant/tree variety, pollens are present in the air at different times of the year:3
- Late winter: tree pollens.
- Spring: grass pollens.
- Late summer and early autumn: grass and ragweed pollens.
How do you know if you are allergic to pollen?
Do you have one or more of the symptoms described above? It is possible that you have a pollen allergy. There are allergological tests4 carried out by specialist practitioners, which consist of applying extracts of allergens such as pollen, animal hair or dust mites to the skin.
A positive test must be compared with the symptoms and also with the circumstances of their appearance. If in doubt, ask your doctor for advice.
But who is affected by pollen allergies?
- L’allergie au pollen : causes et symptômes. https://www.cerballiance.fr/fr/blog/allergies/lallergie-au-pollen-causes-et-symptomes.
- Les pollens. AtmoSud https://www.atmosud.org/article/les-pollens (2015).
- L’air intérieur 8 fois plus pollué que l’air extérieur ! L’Obs https://www.nouvelobs.com/logement/20130425.OBS7217/l-air-interieur-8-fois-plus-pollue-que-l-air-exterieur.html.
- Bilan allergologique. Santé sur le net https://www.sante-sur-le-net.com/maladies/allergie/bilan-allergologique/.